Q: We have recently purchased an investment property and have been strongly advised not to manage it ourselves but to use a property manager. How do we make sure we get the most from our property manager? Cheryl P.
A: We passed your question on to Delanie Horrobin, of Super City Rental Management, who responded:
Every landlord is different, with different needs, different investment motivations and different expectations of a property manager. Communication between all parties is key. For this reason we like
to discuss some of the following questions to help us customise our service to your requirements as a landlord:
- What is most important to you in respect to how your property is managed?
- How often would you like to hear from your property manager?
- How would you prefer us to contact you? Phone, email, text?
- Are there any chattels at the property we need to be aware of or that you are considering adding?
- Do you have any concerns around the management of your property now or in the future?
- Have you ever used the services of a property manager before, and if so what did they do well and what could they do better?
- Are you interested in ongoing advice on how to grow your portfolio?
- Do you prefer a low or high level of communication from us around minor issues or updates?
- Do you understand the importance of ongoing property maintenance and how this can affect your investment return?
- Do you have an investment goal or strategy?
- Are you interested in ongoing advice on how to grow your investment portfolio?
- Do you have a landlord insurance policy?
This helps ensure that expectations are set and continue to be met throughout the working relationship.
Choosing to have your property professionally managed is a big commitment. Whether it’s the family home or part of a million dollar investment portfolio, you
need to ensure that your asset is being maintained to the highest standard.
Here at SuperCity Rental Management, we understand that; so give us a call to hear more about what we have to offer.